I kept seeing a Killdeer bird flying away every time we drove or walked down the road. She was always in the same place. When I really looked, I realized that this crazy bird had built her nest right in the middle of the road! It's just an indentation in the dirt and it's not uncommon for these birds to do this.
Can you find the nest?
Here it is close up - there were 4 eggs. Every day, she'd fly away & then come back when we'd pass. On colder mornings, we could get a lot closer before she'd leave.
Yesterday they hatched, or at least 3 of them have so far! (small white/brown fuzz ball in middle of picture)
They're these cute, little balls of fur running around like crazy when the car goes by. The hardest part is trying not to hit them since they just run straight up the road. We've had to change our morning walk route since I don't think Toby would do too well not chasing & eating them!
Here's the momma trying to be a distraction from the baby (top left corner)
One baby just stayed in the nest & played 'dead' - his little heart was just beating away.





No comments:
Post a Comment