Dog training saga....

Today I purchased a 'gentle leader head collar' since Toby seems to think that the leash is his personally pulling machine. Supposedly, it stops pulling immediately without choking or hurting the dog, working the same way a bridle does on a horse.

Well... somebody needs to tell Toby how this works. We tried several times, but ended each time in major melt down. He'd start gasping, pawing, rolling around, and then at the end he just laid down & wouldn't budge until I got one of the 'good' treats out. Yes, my dog is very smart/stubborn, but I'm determined that we can have a working relationship!! We get along fine as long as there aren't any other people, dogs, cars, you name it around. :-)

Does anyone know the secret to getting one of these things to work??? My only thought is to take him into PetSmart to see if they can figure out what's wrong. If not, it's the choker collar, which seems really mean! Ideas/suggestions??

2 comments:

Jeff and Marissa said...

G - The trick is distraction and persistance. I used (my sis owns Mariah now) it on my 75lb German Shepard - she hates it too...even after an hour walk she would try to paw it off. I would put it on and immediately start walking. When she would try to paw it off, I would correct her and immediately give praise as she started to lift her head or walk. I was taught to keep the leash short - pull straight up as her head went down - so she couldn't get her head down to her paw. Immediately correct her, as she would stop again (and again and again LOL), and praise as soon as her head came up (My sis uses it on her 100lb+ puppy too :) I'll ask her for tips to pass along!

Jeff and Marissa said...

PS - My vet and the dog breeder told me the choke chains will harm the dogs esaphagus/windpipe (Sp?) and to avoid at all costs. The said that once used it may require a harsher and harsher choke chain. On the other hand when I was first training Mariah (GS) and teaching her to heal/obey, I was under the direct supervision of the breeder, I had a chain (no teeth) and short leash. Confusing eh? :) Good Luck