Houston - HOME!

I made it! After months of planning & moving, I'm finally an offical Texan. Made it into Jones Creek Thurs pm, just in time for a fabulous thunderstorm. I've had more rain since I've been in Houston than I've had the last 3 months in Seattle. Hmmmm... I thought it was suppose to be hot & sunny!

Clifford & I drove up Fri am to meet Kayleen & get the keys. Here's a picture of my home for the next 6 months & the pool. I have to keep telling myself: 'Gina, you may not fill up the closet!"! :) As you can see, I have plenty of room, so please come visit!!!




Clifford was great & helped move all my stuff into the house/garage on Friday in between rain storms. Since Clifford didn't have to work until Sun pm and I don't have hot water till the gas gets turned on, I went back down to JC. We spent Sat working on the stock trailer - Clifford welding & me trying to paint on the rust stuff. Once again, I proved I'm excellent at getting as much paint on me as whatever I'm painting. Relaxed on Sun at grandparent's with Clifford's family before heading back home to start the lovely job of unpacking.

Spent the day with Paula, Traci, & the boys shopping around Rosenberg and then proceeded to get very lost trying to find a grocery store near my place. Went all the way around it a couple of times. Luckily, Traci was only a phone call away!

Findings:
1. Bugs - there are a lot of them and they are HUGE! This is my resident spider near the vineyard.
2. Fire ants hurt - a lot!! and itch for a long time! (here's one of my many bites - notice the blister in the middle)
3. Mosquitos can attack you in .025 seconds & you'll have 500 bits in a minute
4. Swimming in your own pool is awesome
5. There are lots of roads here & they all have numbers. You need a math degree to keep them straight! 10, 90, 90a, 99, 359, 1073, 723, 59, 36 ahhhhhhhh (I need a map)
6. You need a sweater everywhere you go. It's 100 outside & 50 inside. brrrr
7. Everything is at least 10 miles away. Nothing is just around the corner. (10 miles to town/grocery store, etc)
8. People are really friendly


7 comments:

Traci K said...

Gina...ugh! That looks like a brown recluse...I think I'd kill it!

DK Campbell said...

Now, now... some of those big spiders are friendly ones! Like zipper spiders/sun spiders whatever you want to call them... :) Our brown recluse look quite a bit different than that! Love reading your updates! Brings back "fond" memories of TX for me, too!

Traci K said...

Yes, Kari, you're probably right...he's probably a friendly one. I will say he sure beats the terantulas and scorpions at Georgetown conv! When are you all coming to visit us down here? Congrats on Kyle becoming a big brother soon!:)

Country Family said...

The bugs will eventually just be something that you can tell all of the non-Texan's about...and scare them. We have been getting spiders in our house that the body is bigger than a quarter..and then you have legs. :) Landon is getting use to telling me about them.
Glad you are here! Come up anytime, and we will try to get down there soon.

DK Campbell said...

No kidding on the ones at G-town! Now, is it because I'm not a kid anymore that I don't see them or are they still around? Doesn't look like we'll be down before convention as Dad & Mom have oodles of busy weekends before then! Speaking of pest control... :) The bug guy is outside right now doing the quarterly duty. Did I grow up in Houston?!!! Can you believe that if they are going to do the inside they want me to leave for 24 hours? And where am I supposed to go for 24 hours? I'm sure they don't have hotel included in the service... :)

Lane and Sylvia said...

Gina -
Thanks for the updates. Miss you in union mtg.
Lane

Traci K said...

Gina, I changed our blog address to: www.k4blogspot.blogspot.com for various reasons (see my post).:)