Texas - finally!

After a week in NM, catching up on my yearly allotment of sopaipillas, I drove to Amarillo on Sat pm and stayed in a pretty sketchy place. Do you think there's a problem if the paint is peeling from the ceiling?? Oh well, haven't contracted any bugs that I know of yet, so must have been ok.

After many more hours of dodging cops, drinking too much, stopping often in response to drinking so much, trying to stay awake, finding bad radio stations, and getting completely confused with the Dallas/Ft. Worth freeway system, I finally made it to my conference in Dallas. Yeah - one more major hurdle down!

Conference was ok - pretty boring, like all conferences, but it does get me one step closer to being certifiably a teacher in TX. Realization - business teachers are cool, marketing teachers are stuck up. Of course, I now have to claim myself as marketing, so watch out - I'll be working on earning my 'stuck up' button.

Downtown Dallas is in another reality. There’s nobody on the street! It’s noon and nobody out walking. All these tall buildings, it’s lunch time - where are all the people? Also, no coffee shops in sight. Not that I’d use them, but it’s weird to not see them all over the place. The only Starbucks I’ve found is a little bagel place that ‘sells’ Starbucks coffee; it’s not even a real Starbucks store. Strange. Dallas does have a trolley system that takes you from downtown to some cool areas with shops, cafes, etc. I found a great trail that runs through the city, so I went walking/jogging on it a few times. Wasn't thinking the 1st time & went running when it was 98 - I almost died. I think I've learned my lesson - go before 7am!

No comments: