Hurricane Ike

So I've now officially gone through my 1st hurricane in the US! Luckily for me, we were on the 'clean' side (west) so all we got was rain & wind. Ike was scheduled to hit landfall about 40 miles to the west & then come straight up over my place, but it hit Galveston instead. Officially Ike was a Category 3 for wind speed, but the surge was a category 4, which is why it flooded Galveston Island so badly. I lost power around 2am on Fri pm, when the main wind/rain started. I guess it got really bad after that, but I pulled a 'Gina' and slept right through it! When I woke up at 7, most of the storm had passed - bummer! My house didn't have any damage, so I was really, really lucky. There were a few fences & small trees pushed over in my neighborhood, but nothing major. We were without power until about 2pm Sunday.
I'd gone down to Clifford's to pick up Brinka since he was scheduled to be at the plant for the entire hurricane & everyone else had evacuated to Phoenix/Oklahoma. Brinka & Toby kept me company, so it wasn't too bad. Poor Brinka - she's had to put up with feisty Toby who wont let her alone!
Here are a few pictures of the pre & post-Ike. Most of the downed trees are near John & Andrea's, about 10 miles away.
Lots of boarded up stores & houses
Not sure why they seran-wrapped the gas pumps, maybe so people wouldn't steal the fuel?  All of the fuel except Supreme was out by Thurs pm. There were LONG lines for fuel today at the few gas stations open.
A not-so-great shot of our awesome sunset on Friday before the storm.
Trees down - it just peeled back the ground.
Most of the streets are passable, but they've had bull dozers out clearing the main trees.

PS - they've cancelled school until Wed!!! YEAH - a 5-day weekend. Wish I'd known it would happen & I'd have taken a little trip!

4 comments:

DK Campbell said...

I'm glad you made it through okay! Looks like quite a mess to clean up...

Troy, Lisa, and Braden said...

We've been thinking about you all weekend! Glad you were fine and didn't have any damage!

Jeff and Marissa said...

G- Glad you made it safe! I was wanting to call you but I've had a phone switcheroo and lost a bunch of numbers - Please Please call me sometime soon :) So I have your number again :)
M

Mochas, Mountains and Moby Wraps said...

Thanks for the update on your blog - we wondered how you'd faired and so it was neat to be able to get an immediate update this way! Maybe we can chat soon though - it's been too long. My folks leave tomorrow so maybe after that ...